Monday, December 24, 2012

Smiling in Stress

I read a post in Yahoo news once and it had the title "Smiling in Stress". It caught my eye and made me curious as to what may be written in it. It said that if you are under stress and are depressed, there is one exercise that can help a lot. Try smiling. It is sure to make you feel better. Luckily (for the sake of having to prove it right perhaps), it was another one of those days when i was terribly pissed and totally stressed out. Still in the same position and while still looking at that window on my computer screen, i tried to smile. I remember experiencing an effort to move my lips muscles but i smiled and that actually made me feel better.

I was surprised, if not amazed, at how smiling was an effort in my gloom but how it has suddenly made me feel better. I haven't bothered going into the science of it but i guess when your face is all contorted with stress and you make an effort to change your expression, it works as a distraction - a welcome distraction, might you want to try it sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment